Resolution Regarding Graduate Scholars, Fellows, Trainees, & Assistants
Acceptance of an offer of financial support (such as a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship) by a prospective or enrolled graduate student for the next academic year completes an agreement that both student and graduate school expect to honor. In that context, the conditions affecting such offers and their acceptance must be defined carefully and understood by all parties.
Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of such offers violate the intent of this Resolution.
If a student accepts an offer before April 15 and subsequently desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit a written resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15. Applicants are not required to obtain a formal release from the program whose offer they accepted, either before or after the April 15 deadline. Once applicants have informed the program that they are withdrawing their acceptance of the offer, they then can accept any other offers.
It is further agreed by the institutions and organizations subscribing to the above Resolution that a copy of this Resolution or a link to the URL should accompany every scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, and assistantship offer.
- This Resolution applies to offers of financial support only, not offers of admission.
- This Resolution is reviewed and reaffirmed by the CGS Board of Directors every five years and was last renewed October 2019.
CGS has prepared several documents regarding the April 15 Resolution:
- A PDF of the Resolution, which includes a list of CGS member institutions that support the agreement;
- A sample letter to send to your school deans, graduate program directors, and administrators outlining the Resolution
- An FAQ page that addresses the most common questions.
Many institutions have worked with their graduate councils to garner broad institutional support for the resolution. If your institution is not currently a signatory of the April 15 Resolution and is interested in being added, please contact Cari Moorhead.