Institutional Portal Now Available!
The National Name Exchange institutional portal is now open for CGS member schools participating in the 2022 cycle.
Each institution participating in the National Name Exchange must demonstrate that it will be able to carry out the following functions which are required by CGS:
- Generate a list of qualified minority sophomores, juniors and seniors at the institution.
- Return the information to the central collecting institution (the Council of Graduate Schools) at the agreed upon time.
- Devise a mechanism to successfully use the names supplied to the institution by the other members of the Consortium.
- Identify someone who can serve as a contact person for students and faculty who desire information about the institution.
- Provide a mechanism to assist students to make an informed decision regarding their graduate and professional careers.
- Attend the annual conferences and pay annual membership dues to CGS.
Application and Nomination to Participate in the Name Exchange
NNE is now managed by the Council of Graduate Schools. All CGS members are eligible to participate. To participate, you must be a member of CGS in good standing. You also must submit students to NNE in order to receive names from the exchange.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the typical timeline for participation in the NNE?
In April, the Council of Graduate Schools announces that a new Name Exchange cycle has begun, and provides member institutions information regarding collecting student information and submission deadlines. From March-June, student data is collected and entered into the Name Exchange database. Institutions provide students access to an online, password-protected form to enter their profiles directly into the database.
In late summer, the NNE recruitment cycle ceases, and CGS prepares the Name Exchange database and invites institutions to download the student lists to distribute student information to their graduate programs.
When and where is the annual meeting held?
Typically, the meeting is held in either April or May. The location rotates among member institutions, and is voted on the year prior.
Is there a member fee?
No. Membership in the NNE is a member benefit conferred on CGS members.
Is there a limit to the number of departments at our institution who may use the Name Exchange data?
No. Your membership covers as many graduate departments/schools as you wish to share it with.
Who do I contact to inquire about participation?
You may contact the Council of Graduate Schools to inquire about CGS membership at firstname.lastname@example.org