Applicant institutions must be committed to the pursuit of excellence and must already have been authorized to offer graduate level work by the appropriate national or regional body or organization.
Institutions seeking membership must offer graduate(*) degrees (degrees beyond the first university degree level) in at least three distinct disciplines. Institutions also shall have awarded, in the three consecutive years immediately preceding application, at least 30 degrees at the master’s level, or 10 degrees at the doctoral level, or some combination thereof. Applicant institutions shall have designated an individual who is responsible for representing the institution’s activities in graduate education (the graduate dean or equivalent). Only institutions outside of the United States and Canada are eligible for international membership.
(*) Graduate level education corresponds with Level 7 of the International Standard Classification for Education. Programs under ISCED Level 7 are for individuals who have a first university degree or equivalent, and are of two types: (1) extension of classroom laboratory-seminar type of learning leading to a master’s degree or higher professional qualifications, or (2) original research resulting in a major dissertation, and leading to a doctoral degree.
List of Current International Members
Benefits for International Member Institutions
Information and Best Practices
- Access to the CGS Dean’s Discussion List, the only online platform for information exchange dedicated solely to graduate education
- Exclusive electronic access to all CGS publications via the CGS website
- Subscription to the GradEdge newsletter and online access to the members-only archives
- Opportunities to compete for funding for Best Practice projects
Professional Development and Networking Opportunities
- Member registration rates for the CGS Annual Meeting and Summer Workshop & New Deans Institute
- Opportunities to participate in webinars led by graduate deans and experts on pressing topics in graduate education
- Ability to advertise job postings on the CGS Career Portal
Representation and Visibility in the Graduate Community
- Access to the searchable online Membership Directory, which provides the names, titles, contact information, and academic fields of deans at member institutions
- Eligibility to nominate individuals for CGS awards
- Participation in governance of the Council
Membership Dues Information
Please visit here for information on International Membership dues.
To learn more and request membership application materials, please contact Janice Goggins.