Applicant institutions must be committed to the pursuit of excellence and must already have been authorized to offer graduate level work by the appropriate national or regional body or organization.
Institutions seeking membership must offer graduate(*) degrees (degrees beyond the first university degree level) in at least three distinct disciplines. Institutions also shall have awarded, in the three consecutive years immediately preceding application, at least 30 degrees at the master’s level, or 10 degrees at the doctoral level, or some combination thereof. Applicant institutions shall have designated an individual who is responsible for representing the institution’s activities in graduate education (the graduate dean or equivalent). Only institutions outside of the United States and Canada are eligible for international membership.
(*) Graduate level education corresponds with Level 7 of the International Standard Classification for Education. Programs under ISCED Level 7 are for individuals who have a first university degree or equivalent, and are of two types: (1) extension of classroom laboratory-seminar type of learning leading to a master’s degree or higher professional qualifications, or (2) original research resulting in a major dissertation, and leading to a doctoral degree.
List of Current International Members
Benefits for International Member Institutions
Representation and Visibility in the Graduate Community
- Publication of your institutional website address on the CGS website
- Access to the searchable online Membership Directory, which provides the names, titles, contact information, and academic fields of deans at member institutions
- Opportunities to advertise meetings, events and other items in GradEdge (fee-based)
Information and Best Practices
- Access to the CGS Dean’s Discussion List, the only online platform for information exchange dedicated solely to graduate education
- A subscription to the GradEdge newsletter and online access to the members-only archives
- One complimentary copy of each CGS publication at the time that membership is approved
- Exclusive electronic access to all CGS publications via the CGS website
Professional Development and Networking Opportunities
- Opportunities to solicit advice and information from experts in graduate education and CGS leadership
- Eligibility to be invited to serve on best practice committees
- Opportunities to participate in webinars led by graduate deans and experts on pressing topics in graduate education
- Invitations to special receptions and events
- Ability to advertise job postings on the CGS Career Portal
Membership Dues Information
Please visit here for information on International Membership dues.
To learn more and request membership application materials, please contact Janice Goggins.