Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello, this is Brian McKenzie, Director of Research at CGS, and I am excited to share with you the Graduate Enrollment and Degrees: 2012 to 2022 Report.

Key findings we think you should know about:

– Applications for admission to U.S. graduate schools rose by nearly 4% between Fall 2021 and Fall 2022, demonstrating college graduates’ continued demand for advanced training.

– But domestic first-time graduate enrollment declined by 4.7% between Fall 2021 and Fall 2022. By contrast, there was a 10.2% increase in international graduate first-time enrollment between Fall 2021 and Fall 2022.

– Underrepresented minority groups experienced declining first-time enrollments in the range of 2-8%, suggesting a need for additional resources to fortify their participation in the knowledge economy.

– Specifically, between Fall 2021 and Fall 2022, first-time graduate enrollment decreased by 7.8% among Black/African American students, 5.7% among Latinx students, and 1.6% among American Indian/Alaska Native students.

For the first time, the annual report includes analysis of U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data for top 10 graduate degree occupations projected to have the most job openings each year.

Based on our estimates, there is a labor force shortage of about 29,000 graduate school trained educational and career counselors, along with education administrators, relative to anticipated demand for professionals in these fields.

CGS is urging policymakers to prepare for these developing trends by broadening the pool of graduate school eligible students by making graduate education more accessible. We recommend expanding Pell Grants to graduate students, reforming student loans, and reinstating subsidized loans for graduate students. Learn more about our policy priorities and how to be an advocate for graduate education.

If you have questions about the findings in our report, please reply to this post and I will answer them as soon as I can.

Best,

Brian McKenzie

scarvalho@ua.edu
    Participant

We love using this resource – thanks for all the great work on it!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.